Quick Guide: How To Stay Up-to-Date On Security Trends
Cyber Security is a fast-moving topic and what we have come across lately is that staying up to date can be challenging, especially in a busy environment. However, keeping informed on the latest security threats will help you apply more effective defense strategies and also help you educate your users by spreading the word about attacks and scams. Here are a few ways to stay current on security trends:
- Subscribe to and regularly read security blogs/news sites
There are several content sources where you can find the security news & articles on the latest security trends, investigations and general cybersecurity topics. For example:
- The news streams from The Hacker News, Dark Reading and The Register are all worth following
- SecurityIntelligence.com covers a variety of security topics on a daily basis
- Trend Micro also provide the latest security news on their blog.trendmicro.com site
- LinkedIn Groups are also a great way to connect with your peers and exchange views on cybersecurity
- Brian Krebs writes about the latest cybersecurity trends on his blog, KrebsOnSecurity. He has also written well over 1,000 blog posts for the Security Fix blog.
2. Attend cybersecurity events
Events are a great way to connect and network with your peers, to learn about the latest trends and hear real-life case studies. Information security conferences and events take place regularly and provide a good source of expert knowledge on the latest best practices, trends, and research findings that impact your day-to-day responsibilities. At Smarttech we regularly run cybersecurity events, such as conferences (Zero Day Con), seminars, workshops and general educational events. We will also start a new webinar series soon, so make sure you watch this space!
3. Find a security company that gets you!
Locate a security partner that will be there for you when you experience a data breach, someone you can call at 2 o’clock in the night when Ransomware gets hold of your data. Find someone you can trust and who you can learn from. It’s not enough to go on Google and search for a security company that can help you along the way, you need to make sure they are the right experts you need.
Keeping up to date with cybersecurity can be daunting, but we hope these three ways can make life a little easier for you. If you want to make sure you are on top of things at all times, follow Smarttech on social media where we post regular cybersecurity news, videos, updates and event information. We are on: